Mt. Olive Baptist Church was organized more than 169 years ago in a Brush Harbor on the spot where Lillie Burney Elementary School now stands, in Hattiesburg, MS. It was organized with members borrowed from the East Jerusalem Baptist Church of this city.
The late Elder C. W. Craig was the founding father and first Pastor. After his resignation, Rev. Brown of New Orleans was called as Pastor, in which he served a very short time. Following this, Elder L.L Lee of Edwards, MS was appointed Pastor. Under his leadership a church was built. Reverned Edwards was successful in his patronage. After his resignation, Rev. J. H. Sims of Hattiesburg, MS was called to Pastor and did so for a few years. Following his tenure, Rev. W. E. Solid of Hattiesburg was the next Pastor and remained Pastor until his death in 1923.
Today, Mt. Olive Baptist Church, located at 1313 Country Club Road in Hattiesburg, MS under the leadership and teaching of Pastor Arthur L. Siggers.
In the year of 1899, one hundred sixteen years ago, the first Mt. Olive Baptist Church was organized and named in a Brush Harbor on the spot where the Lillie Burney Jr. Elementary School now stands. It was organized with members borrowed from the East Jerusalem Baptist Church of this city. The first Pastor was Elder C.W. Craig. After his resignation, Rev. Brown of New Orleans was called as Pastor. He served a very short time and Elder L. L. Lee of Edwards, Mississippi was called. Under his leadership a church was built. His patronage was very successful. After his resignation Rev. J. H. Sims of Hattiesburg was called as Pastor and Pastored a few years. Rev. W. E. Solid of Hattiesburg was our next pastor and remained until his death in 1923. Between the patronage of Rev. Sims and Rev. Solid, the church was in the midst of being rebuilt when it was destroyed by a storm. After being rebuilt it was struck by lightning and destroyed.
During the illness of Rev. Solid, Rev. W. T. Martin a member of this church carried on the services. Rev. Martin worked hard without pay and at the same time, played his part as any other member of this church. After Rev. Solid died, Rev. Martin was called to preach for a short period of time. In 1924 Rev. G. Kelly of Richton, Mississippi was called to Pastor. Under this leadership, the Mt. Olive Baptist Church turned over a new leaf in spiritual growth and the membership increased.
Rev. F. C. Shoemaker of Bogalusa, LA was called as Pastor. During his eleven (11) years of Pastoring, the church was burned to the ground. After the church was destroyed by fire, a division came among the Pastor and members. The Pastor and most of the members of the church left the church and organized the Sweet Pilgrim Baptist Church. Again, Rev. W. T. Martin gathered the members and remained here. Rev. Martin made plans and guided the people and soon built another small church.
The membership grew and the members that went away returned. Rev. L. Johnson of Pass Christian, MS was called as Pastor. He soon retired because of age and health. Rev. H. P. Williams of Prichard, AL was called as Pastor. Under his tender, the church was remodeled. The church gained strength and many members were added. He resigned in August 1947 and Rev. E. L. Jones was called on October 8, 1947 and the church continued to grow. On Monday, after the 4th Sunday in March, at high noon, some of the members and the Pastor dismantled the boards to get started on the present building. The members joyfully continued to word under the leadership of Pastor Jones. On the 4th Sunday at 11:00 a.m., in August 1957, we proudly marched in to this building praying for strength and love to continue to progress.
After 28 years of faithful services, Rev. Jones resigned his position as shepherd of the flock on August 23, 1974. Again the church was without a Pastor until January 12, 1975 when Rev. Johnny Nelson Armstrong took the helm as captain of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church; knowing that it would be tossed by rough waters, swaying winds and ebbing tides. But with Jesus as the guiding light, the ship will safely reach her shore. May the Lord ever bless and keep us all.
But after 3 years of service, Rev. Johnny Nelson Armstrong resigned his position as Pastor March of 1978.
Again Mt. Olive was without a leader until August of 1978; Rev. F. L. Woods was called to lead the flock of the Mt. Olive Baptist Church. He assumed duties as Pastor in September of 1978. Rev. F. L. Woods resigned July 20, 1982.
Rev. Arthur L. Siggers became Pastor on April 22, 1983 and remains pastor as of this date.